21 August 2009

The Bathroom Vanity Re-Project

The vanity was one of my first projects when I bought the house.  I walked around with maximum measurements on my person for weeks (this was 2001 and pre-smart phone- I actually carried this information around on paper!) and eventually found the perfect sized thing... which was a bit more of a challenge to plumb due to the fact the chest has drawers (rather than doors).  I didn't think to shop sinks beforehand to learn some standard dimensions, but I got lucky- the sink was the smallest available my [then] employer offered.  Sold!  Then I learned about all the different types of faucets (the holes in my sink = widespread).  The plumbing guys who were leery of me when we opened the store (cuz I was a girl and from an uppity department store) grew to love me... and shared their years of experience and knowledge with me.  

In the end, I ran out of time and rushed the project, so the top wasn't as well protected as it could've/should've been.  (Also, people are MESSY in bathrooms and tend to splash a lot I learned.  So when you come to visit, please make sure the vanity top is dry as you exit the very tiny bathroom.  While it's much better protected than it was before, you really can't be too careful.  Kthx. )

The vanity was stored in Dad's shop while I was in AZ.  When it came back to ATL, I determined the top needed much love, so I loved it right down to the bare wood and back again.  I really like the color of the finish, so I hoped for color matching mojo...



See how it turned out after the jump...


I heart power tools, yo.

My workshop, the porch.

I couldn't explain the color matching process if my life depended on it.  I layered two tints from two vendors, then lots of trial-end-error, and finally... success! Then it was ready for layers and layers and layers of polyurethane...



And the sink!

Ah, silicone. How I love/hate thee.

There's an issue with the drain assembly to be resolved, but I've located the part I need at least.  AND I've decided I'm clearly going to have to learn to plumb.  The guy I chat up at Ace tells me I can do it... and he wouldn't lie to me, right?
Thanks, plumber Dad.

Tada!

This is the tiny bathroom  (the entire house is <900 SQFT):



There are so many things that need to/I'd like to change in the bathroom, but who knows when that might happen?!  In the meantime, it's nice to see the house becoming my home again.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment